The romantic castle ruins are located near Konstantinovy Lázně.
The first written mention of the castle dates from 1319. At that time, the abbot of the Teplice monastery rented the castle to Jetřich of Gutštejn. In 1422 the castle was conquered by Jan Žižka. Already in the middle of the 16th century, the castle is listed as desolate, and after the end of the Thirty Years' War, only ruins remain.
The high tower is often referred to as a rectangular bergfrit with rounded corners. While over time it lost its defensive significance, the solution of the castle walls gained in importance, it has certainly fulfilled an aesthetic function since the Middle Ages, which is indirectly evidenced by the just mentioned rounded corners. Thanks to its height, of which about twenty-five meters of stone masonry have been preserved to this day, the tower made it possible to effectively protect palaces and courtyards. At the bottom is about six meters wide. The entrance was first from the south from the upper floors, later another entrance was added to the north palace. The stone linings, adapted to lower the drawbridges, have been preserved in the masonry to this day.
The stone linings, adapted to lower the drawbridges, have been preserved in the masonry to this day.
The palace was connected to the tower.
On the ground floor and first floor you can see arched windows with remnants of plaster in niches.
Towards the west, narrow loopholes point in the walls of the preserved palace.
Kestrel nests in the castle tower. Kestrel from Gutštejn Castle.
Giga List: The most beautiful trips Karlovy Vary
The most famous island of the Czech Republic is occupied by the world-famous Karlovy Vary. It is famous mainly for its spas –… continue reading
Giga List: The most beautiful trips to the Pilsen region
The Pilsen region is not just the city of Pilsen itself, famous for its beer. The whole region offers many other interesting… continue reading
Have you been there? Write a review of this place
Already rated by 1 traveler