Šumava town of gold diggers
The local gold ore district was the second largest in Bohemia after Jílové. In the 13th century, a real gold rush prevailed here and the city grew rapidly. In the 14th century, deep gold mining and the important trade route „Golden Road“ from Passau to Bohemia developed, a trace of which can still be found around the city. To protect trade routes and the surrounding gold mines, Charles IV left. in 1356 to build Kašperk Castle near the town. With its location of 740 m above sea level, Kašperské Hory is one of the highest towns in the Czech Republic.
Renaissance town hall
On the reconstructed square stands the Renaissance town hall building with three decorated Baroque stitches and a clock tower. In addition to the exhibition hotel, there is also a Šumava Museum on the square with an exhibition on local gold mining. Gold was mined in the area until the beginning of the 20th century. Recently, there have been renewed attempts to resume mining.
Church of St. Marquette
The dominant feature of the square is the church of St. Margaret from the middle of the 14th century, to which a neo-Gothic tower was added in 1883.
In the Middle Ages, almost 40 mines and shafts were operated in the area. At the time of the greatest prosperity, around 300 medieval gold ore mills worked in the area. Grinding stones are exhibited in the square near the church of St. Marquette. Crushed gold ore was crushed in the bowl-shaped depressions of the modified stones. The gold-bearing flour was then mixed with mercury in an amalgamation process.
Have you been there? Write a review of this place
Already rated by 1 traveler