Šumava town of glass and gold
The settlement of Rejštejn near the gold rice fields at the confluence of the Otava and Losenice rivers is mentioned as early as 1347. From panning to gold mining. The settlement developed and became rich, and in 1584 Rudolf II. Rejštějn was promoted to a royal upper town. In the 17th century, gold mining declined, but soon revived thanks to the establishment of glassworks using wood from the surrounding dense forests.
On the square there is a boulder with bowl-shaped depressions originating from medieval gold-bearing quartz processing plants. Crushed gold-bearing quartz with mercury was rubbed in the depressions, and pure gold was obtained. In front of the town hall there is a stone fountain from 1890.
Church of St. Bartholomew
The dominant feature of the town is the church of St. Bartholomew built in 1570 and subsequently rebuilt in 1792. The mother and brother of Karel Klostermann, who used to be a parish priest in Rejštejn, are buried in the cemetery next to the church.
Glassworks and glassmakers
An important part of history is the local former world-famous glassworks and also a factory for the production of prams. Lötz Art Nouveau glass was exported to almost the whole world at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Near the former glassworks stands the Art Nouveau villa of the then owner of the glassworks Max Spauna from 1903.
Have you been there? Write a review of this place
Already rated by 1 traveler