Wooden church inscribed on the UNESCO list
On the hill above the village of Ruská Bystrá is the easternmost Slovak church of all eight, which have been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. This wooden Greek Catholic Church of the Transfer of the Remains of St. Nicholas was built in 1730 and looks relatively modest on the outside, but the main one is hidden inside.
Wooden Greek Catholic church Transfer of the remains of St. Nicholas
The three-room log building located on a stone foundation has a floor plan of three consecutive squares – the church has a simple hip roof without decorations. The walls are not clad, but are protected by a protruding shingle roof. A bell tower is located above the entrance to the temple. The ceiling is unusually visually closed by planks.
Very valuable interior
The interior is dominated by a late Baroque iconostasis separating the sanctuary from the space for believers (ships). It is five-row with richly carved, polychrome and gilded architecture. Due to the small interior of the temple, the iconostasis extends to the side walls and even to the ceiling where the Calvary is located. The rarest icon shows the Crucifixion and is located in the sanctuary. The richly carved double-winged imperial door from the 17th century is also worth a visit
The church is still functional
The temple is still functional and usually hosts services and ceremonies. The photo shows the decoration for the ceremony of the first holy communion of young Christians from the village. A tour of the interior of this extraordinary church can be arranged by phone +421 908 362 286 or +421 917 377 833, or in houses no. 32 or 18.
Giga List: The most beautiful wooden churches in Slovakia
A monumental work of folk architecture are wooden churches, unfortunately only rarely preserved in their original place. They are… continue reading
Have you been there? Write a review of this place
Already rated by 1 traveler