Baroque castle rebuilt from a Renaissance fortress
The baroque castle in the village of Červené Janovice, about 13 km south of Kutná Hora, was created in the years 1650–1660 by rebuilding the original Renaissance fortress. The reconstruction was carried out by the Italian builder and plasterer Carlo Brettani, who also decorated the nearby Český Šternberk castle. The castle is protected as a cultural monument.
Originally, a Gothic fortress surrounded by a moat stood in the northwestern part of the castle. At the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries, the Kolovratés rebuilt it in a Renaissance style, and the foundations of today's four-wing layout were laid.
Ditch and bridge
During the Baroque reconstruction, a moat was walled and a stone bridge was built to the entrance portal. The castle was originally called Janovičky, after 1715 it got the nickname „Red“ according to the color of the city coat of arms or the new roof of the castle.
Square floor plan
The castle has a square floor plan with a courtyard with arcades. A fountain is located in the middle of the courtyard. In the 18th century, the entire building became the property of Emperor Ferdinand II. and was used as an administrative building, a hospital, a brewery, a distillery, later a pub and apartments. It gradually lost its importance and began to decay.
A famous native
On August 28, 1551, Václav Budovec from Budov, an important politician, diplomat, writer and long-time leader of the Estates' anti-Habsburg opposition, was born in the castle. For this, after the lost battle on Bílá hora, he was executed on the Old Town Square as one of the 27 Czech lords.
The castle is currently in private hands and is not open to the public. We can only hope that the new owner will ensure a proper reconstruction of this interesting building.
Have you been there? Write a review of this place
Already rated by 0 travelers